Patent Search Services
Why Perform a Patent Search?
Filing a patent is a time-consuming and pricey process. Any patent application too similar to an existing patent will be rejected, wasting the applicant's time and money. To avoid this, patent applicants can invest in patent search services to determine whether or not any pre-existing patents match their new invention too closely. A patent search should be the first step a new inventor takes in order to:
- Save time
- Save money
- Avoid legally infringing on other patents
When performing a patent search consider these tips:
- Learn the abilities of your chosen search engine. Whether you're using Google Patent Search, the USPTO website, or another database, be aware of its limitations. Determine how far back its records go, how quickly it adds newly accepted patents, and whether it's lacking records in certain classifications.
- Learn to use the search engine's tools. Use 'query by example.' Search engines can use a sample patent, pull search information from it, and develop a query that will locate similar documents.
- Every patent with similar art on file receives a reference citation linking it to past patents. Those cited patents are also updated with forward-reference citations. Use those references to find related patents.
The patent process includes:
Our Patent Search Services
New Product Consulting provides expert and professional help to product inventors and developers with bringing a new product to the market. Our services include:
- Free consultations
- Patent and market research
- Invention design and product development consulting
- Patent process help
- Marketing and licensing consulting
We collaborate with professionals from all areas of product design, research, and development to help you reach your new product or service goals.